My career path: Analytical Chemist, Analytical Systems Manager, R&D Systems Manager, IS Business Support Manager, Consultant.
I ran my own consultancy company (phaseFour Informatics Ltd), specialising in laboratory informatics and electronic laboratory notebooks up till the end of 2014. Away from the office, my time was divided between three major interests, rugby (Director and Communications Officer for the Saracens Supporters Association), photography and music.
I set out on phase five at the start of 2015, with the broad intent of pursuing various volunteer opportunities, primarily around sporting events, having been significantly influenced by being a GamesMaker at the London Olympics in 2012, and then the British Grand Prix in 2014. By chance, photography provided an opportunity to enhance the volunteering experience, firstly by being adopted as the ‘official’ photographer for the Saracens Sport Foundation, then finding further opportunities with London Youth Games, Chinese New Year, Lords Cricket Community, Noah’s Ark Children’s Hospice, UCLH Charities, Spinal Injuries Association, The Red Cross, and London Youth Rowing. Currently I’m a member of the Volunteer Management Team for Saracens Rugby Club, responsible for systems and communications.
ex-soccer player, marathon runner, occasional golfer, bookworm, guitarist, walker.
- Chairman: LabSystems User Group
- Programme Chair: International LIMS Conference, Bonn, 1995
- Chair: International LIMS Conference, The Hague, 1997
- Recipient of the International LIMS Award, 2000
- Director: LIMS Institute 1997-2003
- Chair: Automation and Analytical Group, Royal Society of Chemistry 2003-2012
- Member: Environment, Sustainability and Energy Council, Royal Society of Chemistry 2014-16
- Director Saracens Supporters Association 2009 – present
- Chair Saracens Supporters Association 2013-17, 2018 -20
- Runner-Up, Premiership Rugby Parliamentary Awards 2017 (Community Volunteer of the Year)